Active optical cable is a product born to meet higher density and higher broadband applications. With the rapid development of the optical network era, it has gradually penetrated into every corner of the global high-speed interconnection market. What exactly is an active optical cable? What are the advantages of the application?
1. What is an active optical cable?
Active Optical Cables (AOC) are optical fiber jumpers equipped with optical transceivers at both ends, which require external energy to complete the mutual conversion of optical/electrical signals. The main components of the active optical cable are divided into two parts: the optical path and the circuit. The optical path includes the lens and FA used to convert the angle of the optical path; the circuit includes the PCB board, substrate, VCSEL chip, VCSEL driver chip, PD chip, and TIA chip. As the main transmission medium for high-performance computers and data centers, active optical cables ensure the stability of transportation and flexibility of applications, and are more common in high-density applications.
2. What is the principle of active optical cable?
At one end of the active optical cable, the data is input into an electrical signal, and the electrical signal is converted into an optical signal of a specific wavelength through a photoelectric conversion device. The optical signal is modulated and coupled and then input into the transmission optical cable. After the optical signal reaches the other end,After detecting the optical signal, the photoelectric detection device will amplify and process it, and then output the corresponding electrical signal. The principle of reverse transmission is the same.
3. What are the advantages of active optical cables?
Compared with active optical cable and high-speed copper cable:
1. The transmission power on the system link is lower;
2. The volume is about half of the copper cable, and the weight is only a quarter of the high-speed cable;
3. In the computer room wiring system, the air flow is better and the heat dissipation is stronger;
4. The bending radius of the optical cable is smaller than that of the copper cable;
5. The transmission distance is longer, which can reach 100-300 meters;
6. The bit error rate of the product transmission performance is also better, and the BER can reach 10^-15.
Compared with active optical cable and optical transceiver module:
1. The optical interface of the active optical cable is not exposed, that is, there is no problem of clean and contaminated optical interface;
2. Higher system stability and reliability;
3. Make the network system more convenient to manage and maintain;
4. Greatly reduce operation and maintenance costs and improve efficiency.
4. In which areas are active optical cables used?
The application of active optical cable is mainly in the following 3 fields:
1. In the teaching center and laboratory, active optical cables connect multiple machines with the host, which not only guarantees high-speed data transmission, but also realizes a secure network system.
2. In data centers and cloud computing systems, in order to achieve higher bandwidth and lower power requirements, the 10G SFP+, 40G QSFP+ and 100G QSFP28 in the active optical cable can be well connected to switches or routers with high-speed optical communication ports. And other equipment.
3. In common digital signage, active optical cables also play an important role, which can meet the requirements of supporting 1080p resolution in outdoor HDMI environments. Not only that, active optical cables are also useful in outdoor large-scale interactive games.
Active optical cables are more and more widely used in high-density data centers due to the advantages of long transmission distance, fast transmission rate, and ease of use. At the same time, active optical cable technology is facing huge challenges in the continuous development process. The future active optical cables will May meet the increasing demand for transmission.